Mark brings 20 years of experience as a corporate consultant to this work. Coaching focuses on the many challenges associated with running high performance businesses: leadership, management, communication, stress, conflict resolution skill, personal emotional issues and the management of teams. What differentiates Mark from the average coach?
- In a word…experience. 35 years as a clinical psychologist and 20 years as a management consultant.
- His experience as a clinical psychologist enables the ability to explore emotional components underlying typical business challenges in focused and powerful way, most particularly in being able to bring a deep understanding and pragmatic analysis to complex ‘people problems.’
- His ability to move seamlessly between emotional issues and building the skills necessary for great leadership management conflict resolution and teambuilding..
- Experience in working with over 30 different types of organisations throughout South Africa
The coaching is essentially about deepening the capacity to lead and manage people to one’s greatest potential and typically focuses on the following areas:
- Mark has developed a unique understanding of certain core elements that limit leadership capacity, for example: the dangers of being too professional and the downsides of the inappropriate use of inspiration. These are extraordinarily common and destructive mistakes that are very rarely talked about or understood.
- The development of leadership and management capacity, team cohesion, decision-making, values implementation, performance management and conflict resolution.
- Developing self-mastery around the ‘negative’ emotions which life and leadership evoke. Leadership evokes frustrations, fears, anxieties and stresses that are deeply challenging on a personal and professional level. Strategies for managing these issues ‘internally’ are explored.
- Many leaders want to become more skilled in terms of how they communicate. Mark has created a method for managing difficult interactions called Strategic Questions. This method is essentially about building the capacity to synthesise Give and Take in dealing with people. Great communication, under pressure, is always a wise and skilful combination of these two factors.
- Mark is very successfully using Schwartz & McCarthy’s energy versus time model to build resilience to stress, enabling greater effectiveness, efficiency and creativity.
- As a leader, the ability to get the best out of your team is critical. Mark has spent many years analysing and working with group process, understanding what are the factors that enable groups to be more effective and what factors destroy team cohesion. Leveraging the principles behind this is extraordinary powerful.